In Cape Coral’s hot and humid climate, heating & air conditioning systems must work hard to maintain indoor comfort. Ideally, air conditioners and heaters should be inspected once a year (or twice a year for units 10 years old and up). The spring is the best time because your system will be serviced before the hottest weather arrives. We’ll look at why you need an heating & air conditioning inspection and what the process entails.
Why Schedule a Heating & Air Conditioning Inspection
Having your AC inspected by a professional can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in repairs. It can also:
- Extend equipment lifespan, saving you in replacement costs.
- Avoid an AC breakdown in the hottest weather.
- Help find minor issues to correct.
- Allow for greater energy efficiency.
- Improve safety, including preventing carbon monoxide leaks.
- Improve indoor air quality.
- Give you an idea when the unit may need to be replaced.
How Much Time Do I Need for an Inspection?
It usually takes about an hour to fully inspect a heating & air conditioning system. Our technicians run through a thorough checklist. If refrigerant needs to be added, the process might take 30 to 45 minutes longer. Licensed and trained, our team also has the experience, knowledge, and tools to properly evaluate the system, provide recommendations, and perform a tune-up.
What Does a Heating & Air Conditioning Inspection Entail?
Knowing what a technician should look for can help you make sure everything goes according to plan. A preventative maintenance checklist looks somewhat like the following:
- Inspect the indoor and outdoor coils for dirt and wear.
- Check Freon levels and for signs of leaks.
- Inspect, clean, or replace filters as needed.
- Test the thermostat to see if it’s working properly or needs batteries.
- Check electrical components; tighten as needed.
- Check the electrical contactor for loose wires or worn contacts.
- Test the function of AC and blower shutoffs.
- Clean or flush the drain line and inspect the drain pan.
- Test limit and safety controls.
- Test amp draw of the compressor, fan motor, and blower motor.
- Measure temperature drop across the evaporator coil.
- Test static pressure to determine if airflow improvements are needed.
- Check supply registers and return vents for blockages, and clean if necessary.
- Inspect ductwork for damage, air leaks, and pest infestations.
About Service Agreements/Maintenance Plans
If your heating & air conditioning contractor offers a maintenance plan or service agreement, it’s a good idea to sign on. The program may include routine maintenance at no charge. You also might get a discount if repairs are needed. Additional warranty coverage may also be included. That’s on top of service reminders, so you know exactly when to schedule an inspection that can keep your AC and heater in peak condition.
What Does a Heating & Air Conditioning Inspection Cost?
While costs may vary, you should expect to spend up to a couple hundred dollars for a professional inspection. By comparison, a major repair can cost thousands of dollars. The benefits make investing in heating & air conditioning maintenance worth it. An inspection can avoid breakdowns and catch problems early, while possibly saving on utility bills. It can provide you with peace of mind as well.
Schedule Your Appointment with Service Today!
We provide AC repair and maintenance services throughout the Cape Coral area. While our technicians are experienced with all kinds of repairs, a heating & air conditioning inspection can prevent major problems from occurring in the first place. Our team addresses all common issues that can lead to bigger headaches. Check out our coupons to save or schedule a same-day appointment by calling 888-205-9590 today!