Whole House Surge Protectionin Cape Coral, FL
Protecting Homes Across Cape Coral from Dangerous Electrical Surges
We use electricity every day. It powers every device in our homes, but a surge of current that’s too much for your appliances, electronics, and wiring to handle can do a lot of damage. Most electrical surges originate from inside your home (although some come from lightning and utility issues), so it makes sense to install a surge suppressor that protects your entire home. A whole house surge protector can protect your electrical panel as well, while preventing expensive damage, shocks, burns, and even electrocutions. At Service Today, our licensed electricians can provide the whole house surge protection you need to stay safe and save money. They’re also available 24/7 in case of an emergency.
Common Causes of Power Surges
A massive amount of current must come from somewhere. Although you might not see their source, these are some of the most common causes of power surges:
- Power Outages: A surge in electricity is possible when power is restored after an outage. If you don’t have a surge protector, it can damage any appliance or device that’s plugged in, even if it has been inactive.
- Short Circuits: An electrical surge can create an overload, causing circuits to short out. Plugging in too many appliances, overusing extension cords, or using devices that exceed the circuit’s amperage level can cause massive spikes in current.
- Lightning Strikes: Home electrical systems are designed to channel electricity. A lightning strike to your home therefore means excessive current can flood the system and overwhelm it. Unless you have a home surge protector, it’s imperative you unplug unused devices and appliances during a severe storm.
- Outdated Electrical Systems: If your wiring or house fuse box aren’t rated for the current drawn by modern devices, your electrical system can easily be overwhelmed by an electrical surge. Call a professional electrician to inspect the system, update it and, if necessary, replace all outdated systems and components.
Benefits of Whole House Surge Protection
There are a few benefits of investing in a whole house surge protection system if your home is not equipped with one, such as:
- Device Damage Prevention: One big surge can short out a major expensive appliance, and even small surges over time can do significant harm. All electrical devices are susceptible, from refrigerators to toasters, to television sets, computer systems, smart phones, and tablets. If a device causes a transient surge, the electrical surge goes back to the breaker panel; a surge breaker will shunt it and protect all your other electrical equipment.
- Electrical Fire Prevention: A surge overwhelms the circuit or any device it hits, causing it to overheat, which can ignite a fire. Sparks and electrical arcing can trigger fires as well. Surge-related fires can occur due to faulty wiring, outlets, or appliances. Many electrical issues remain hidden until a serious event occurs, but surge protectors can do much more than a house fuse can do in protecting your home and family.
- Increase Appliance Lifespan: Preventing surges avoids unnecessary damage to sensitive circuitry in modern appliances. In fact, whole house surge protection can avoid major repairs to electronic devices. You can even go longer in having to invest in replacing them.
Contact Service Today!
Our Cape Coral electricians are ready to install your whole house surge protector to avoid fires, shocks, and damage to appliances and devices. We offer same-day appointments and, if you have an emergency, 24/7 service. To schedule service in your home, call (239) 303-4525 now.